Experience the 2017 Yukon Quest Sled Dog Race
The Race is on
Meet the Huskies
See the Mushers
Check out the Checkpoints
Experince Dawson City in the Winter
Be Part of the 2017 Yukon Quest 1000 Mile International Sled Dog Race.
with our premium Golden Harness Tour imagine yourself …
… at the start: dozens of wildly excited huskies, dedicated mushers, trusty handlers and hundreds of passionate fans to cheer them on. … because the 2017 Yukon Quest 1000 Mile International Sled Dog Race is on … therefore we follow the teams meeting up with them at their checkpoints to see their progress. … also you get to Dawson City over 500 km to the North, frozen solemnly in its wintry white snow cover. Blue skies during the day and Northern Lights at night. … You travel in a comfortable van, will be staying in Dawson City for 3 nights, spending the days at the official check point place, where you can talk to the mushers, be close to the dogs, see the vets at work, admire the handlers’ care for their dogs and be right in the middle of this epic winter event. You get to greet mushers coming in from the trail before they bed the huskies down to their well deserved 24hour rest. Then you cheer departing teams when they get ready for the next leg of their wild adventure towards the finish line in Whitehorse. In the afternoons we have the option to explore the area around the “City of Gold”, such as the Midnight Dome, the famous gold fields or the place of Dredge No. 4. (pending road conditions), On day 9 we will start back down the winter wonderland road towards Whitehorse, driving through the heart of the Yukon again, keeping our amazing memories close to our heart. Whitehorse awaits us with its wilderness city charm. Now you get to step on the sled yourself and drive your own team of enthusiastic huskies through a fairy landscape.
Day 1 “Coming to the North”
2. February 2017 Arrival day in the Yukon and first night in your Whitehorse hotel. Whenever you arrive at Whitehorse International Airport we will pick you up and bring you to your downtown hotel, where you will experience your first comfortable and cozy night in the wild North. Today we can show you the charm of our Wilderness City and much more.
In the evening we will attend the famous Yukon Quest Banquet, where all musher will be present, where a great Silent Auction and a fantastic Yukon Dinner is held along with the exciting Draw of Start Numbers for all musher teams. Entrance fee and dinner included in tour price..
Day 2 “Our Capital”
3. February 2017 This morning is reserved to your own time and rhythm. Sleep in or explore our quaint little Capital of the North with numerous restaurants and coffee shops, art galleries and souvenir stores or experience the wonderful promenade along the frozen Yukon River.
In the afternoon we drive to the famous Yukon Wildlife Preserve and visit amazing 700acres of northern mammals in their natural habitats.
Read more ...
Day 3 “The Race is on!”
4. February 2017 Today we will see cheer the mushers and their huskies teams on to their wild 1000 mile race through Canada’s True North. We finally become part of this epic event. Having found a strategic place close to the start line we experience the rush of team after team tearing out of the starting chute. Later we drive down the trail to a several viewing points seeing the mushers come by, our last road accessible location for today is the Takhini River, after which we take a break with a relaxing soak in the Takhini Hot Springs.
Read more ...
Day 4 “We are going North”
5. February 2017 We meet at the hotel lobby and drive North. On our way we once again update who has come into or left the Braeburn Checkpoint. When we arrive in Carmacks, placed on both sides of the wide Yukon River, our hotel is close to the checkpoint. So we can spend as much time as we want either inside the checkpoint building rubbing elbows with arrived mushers, excited ans and working officials. Or we stay outside to see valiant teams arrive or refreshed teams depart.
Read more ...
Day 5 “Rustic Lodge in the Wilderness”
6. February 2017 Meet at the hotel lobby. We are checking out! Today we reach Pelly Crossing, where the teams now have 2 full days and nights under their belt and are fully into their racing rhythm. We greet arriving mushers, talk to resting musher, and see others off to their next leg in the race. Experience how musher stake care of their canine companions. We now understand and interpret the leader board with more experience and understanding, maybe even bet on who will be first in Dawson City, yet.
Read more ...
Day 6 “Dawson – City of Gold”
7. February 2017 After a 2 hour drive from the lodge we arrive in Dawson City. The first teams are expected tonight for sure, completing the first half of their tough and challenging race. Dawson City is a mandatory 36 hour layover stop, which gives us plenty of time to learn about everything that makes this race special.
Read more ...
Day 7 and 8 “In the middle of the Race”
8./9. February 2017 Two full days time in the “City of Gold”! We walk the snow covered streets to the historic Visitor Centre at the banks of the mighty, frozen Yukon River updating ourselves on teams, dogs, race times and current standings. We greet arriving teams on Front Street into their 36 hour layover resting time, as well as cheering on athletes that are already leaving into their race towards Alaska. A potentially first ice road drive brings us across the frozen river to where the mushers have bedded down their faithful friends, the huskies. Vets are checking up on them, handlers are looking after them and we can see and learn and ask all we want. We chat with co-visitors, mushers, vets, officials and the locals. Halfway point in the race. Whoever crosses this finish line first (and ends the race) wins a lump of gold.
Read more ...
Day 9 “In the middle of the Race”
10. February 2017 Meet at the hotel lobby we are checking out! Sorry! On our way back we let an amazing winter scenery pass by, showing off the heart of the Yukon with its white glittering landscape, from frozen lakes to snow covered forests. A day of+500km through northern wilderness captured in its icy wintry grip. Expected time of arrival in good old Whitehorse is 6:00pm Expected arrival in Whitehorse, the buzzing little town where it all started some exciting days ago. let’s have a fine dinner together and peruse the last days of “mushing”.
Day 10 “Mush On Yourself”
11. February 2017 And now it is your turn. Drive your own team of huskies across the northern landscape of ice and snow. Learn how to harness your dogs and what it means to stand on a sled behind these amazing friends and feel their power and determination to run. We will spend a half day way up in the mountains and Yukon wilderness. Our knowledgeable guides will help us with learning about mushing, what a northern winter is like, why bear hibernate and any questions we have. We return back to our hotel in the afternoon, maybe stiff and hungry, but happy and full of wonderful memories.
Day 11 “Hope to see you again”
12. February 2017 It is this day again. We have to say “Good-buy!” All departures at Whitehorse International Airport are serviced with a hotel transfer to your individual flights. But there is one good thing: You can always come back to another race next year or any adventure in the Yukon you chose.
Or you can stay and proceeding to another Northern Winter Adventure. Ask about options of more dog mushing, ice fishing, snowmobiling or snowshoeing. And more nights hunting the mysterious Northern Lights.
Many thanks for choosing Black Bear Wilderness Adventures. We hope we showed you one special, unforgettable side of our beloved country we chose freely to live in.
- CAD$ 2.190,- +5% GST per person
- based on double occupancy
- single room supplements
- minimum: 2 people
- Airport pick up & drop off
- Entry and Dinner at the Quest Banquet
- Visit to Takhini Hot Springs
- Visit to the Yukon Wildlife Preserve
- Half Day Dog Sledding
- City Tour in Whitehorse
- City Tour in Dawson City
- 3 hotel nights in Whitehorse
- 1 hotel night in Carmacks
- 1 cabin night at Moose Creek Lodge
- 3 hotel nights in Dawson City
- Interpretive10 day race tour
- hot drinks and snacks on driving days
- 1 Raffle Ticket valued at Can$20.00 with chances to win Can$10.000 cash
- Membership fee and drink to enter the famous Sour Toe Cocktail Club
- meals and beverages
- arctic winter clothing (ask for rental quote)
- Arrival & Airport transfer to downtown
- Hotel in Whitehorse Whitehorse City Tour Takhini Hot Springs
February 10th, 2016
- Drive to Dawson City
- Check on first teams arriving
- Hotel in Dawson City
February 11th + 12th, 2016
- Stay in Dawson City
- Visit of check point line and check point proper
- City Tour and exploring of Dawson City area
- Hotel in Dawson City
February 13th, 2016
- Drive back to Whitehorse
- Hotel in Whitehorse
February 14th, 2016
- Airport transfer and departure
A Norther Winter Experience that showcases a most Epic Athletic Event the amazing symbiosis of men & dogs in the North.
Let us drive your adventure!